The objective of teaching English in Grade-K is to familiarize the learner with the foundational aspects of the language and initiate the listening and speaking skill development.
- The learner develops acquaintance to the basic building blocks of the English language.
- The learner uses English as a language of daily communication.
- The learner appreciates language as a means of gaining social acceptance.
- The learner uses language as a tool to distinguish oneself.
- The learner consciously and sub-consciously develops an appreciation for the importance of language in daily life.
- The learner compares and contrasts characters, events and ideas within the text.
- The learner consciously and sub-consciously develops an appreciation for one’s responsibility towards the world.
- The learner begins to comprehend and express thoughts and ideas to develop a collegial and co-operative environment.
Communication - The learner is able to:
- associate the sound with the letters;
- follow one-step commands and directions.
Confidence - The learner is able to:
- write correct letter shape, size, spacing, and smoothness;
- spell and write one’s name.
Clarity - The learner is able to:
- interpret own writing;
- be intrinsically motivated to learn further.
Compassion - The learner is able to:
- engage in shared and independent reading of a familiar predictable text;
- respond to and ask appropriate questions.