The purpose of music in grade 8 is to introduce the learner to a variety of music genres and instruments while simultaneously exploring the concepts of rhythm, melody, timbre, texture , dynamics and forms.
- The learner explores the history, development, and attributes of music.
- The learner gains in depth knowledge about music theory.
- The learner learns interpret performances, and they compose and perform their own song.
- The learner uses traditional and/ or homemade instruments to investigate relationships between musical expression and place.
- The learner develops music reading skills.
The learner is able to:
- interpret music sheets for various genre;
- practice performing music vocally and with a pitched instrument;
- Pose questions about sound to guide inquiry into the expressive and symbolic use of sound and silence;
- demonstrate sensitivity to the ways voices change with age and musical experiences;
- investigate and manipulate elements of music and principles of composition including tension and resolution.