The objective of teaching English in Grade-1 is to familiarize the learner with the language, hence enabling one to communicate effectively and aiding the development of their listening and reading skills.
- The learner develops acquaintance to the basic building blocks of the English language.
- The learner uses English as a language of daily communication.
- The learner appreciates language as a means of gaining social acceptance.
- The learner uses language as a tool to distinguish oneself from peers.
- The learner consciously and sub-consciously develops an appreciation for the importance of language in daily life.
- The learner incorporates taught words and phrases within daily dialogues.
- The learner consciously and sub-consciously develops an appreciation for one’s responsibility towards the world.
- The learner begins to comprehend and express thoughts and ideas to develop a collegial and co-operative environment.
Communication - The learner is able to:
- recognize, pronounce and write all alphabets;
- discriminate words, letters, symbols, and phrases.
Confidence - The learner is able to:
- process basic information through reading and listening;
- use one’s voice as a means of gaining attention.
Clarity - The learner is able to:
- develop a basic acceptance for language as a medium of communication, comprehension, and acquisition of knowledge;
- identify basic building blocks of the english language for making sense of coherent and incoherent information.
Compassion - The learner is able to:
- use language as a tool to develop one’s self-image;
- understand and appreciate the contribution of using language as a medium to share, provide, give and receive effectively.